Depots, Garages & Other Establishments.

Map of Glasgow depot locations

Page 1/2/3


Glasgow Corporation Tramways / Transport

Transport Offices.
46 Bath Street.
Opened 1894, closed 1982.
Doorway.
Recent photo.

 

Coplawhill Tramcar Works, & Depot.
Pollokshaws Road/Albert Drive.
Opened 1894, closed 1963.
In addition to being one of the nine depots built in readiness for the GCT operation of the tramcar network, Coplawhill was also established as the repair & overhaul facility.  With electrification and the opening of further depots, it was extended and turned over solely to manufacturing & overhauling the tramcar fleet and in its final years, the scrapping of some trams and assembly of bus bodywork.  After closure part of the buildings were home to the Glasgow Museum of Transport, from 1964 to 1987.
Works layout.
Aerial view.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18.


Newlands Depot/Garage.
Newlandsfield Road.
Opened 1910, closed 1986.
Built for electric tram operation. Also used as a bus garage from 1928 to 1932 and again from 1959 until closure.


In use photos - 1, 2)
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Parkhead Depot/Garage.
Tollcross Road.
Opened 1922.

Built for electric tram operation. Also housed a separate bus garage.
The original, experimental, GCT bus fleet was based at Parkhead.

In use photos - 1, 2)
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Partick Depot.
Hayburn Street.
Opened 1894, closed 1962.

Built for horse tram operation, later converted for electric trams. Demolished and rebuilt as a bus garage.


1894 depot layout.
Aerial view.
Recent photos - 1, 2.


Govan Depot/Garage.
Brand Street.
Opened 1915, closed 1969.

Built for electric tram operation and later also housed trolleybuses. Was used as a bus garage from 1962.


In use photos - 1, 2)
Aerial view.

Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

Maryhill Depot.
Celtic Street.
Opened 1894, closed 1960.
Built for horse tram operation, later converted & extended for electric trams. Demolished and rebuilt as a bus garage.

1894 depot layout.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Dennistoun Depot.
Paton Street.
Opened 1896, closed 1960.
Built for horse tram operation, later converted & extended for electric trams. Also housed trolleybuses, from 1958.

Recent photos - 1, 2.


Possilpark Depot/Garage.
Hawthorn Street.
Opened 1901, closed 2000.

Built for electric tram operation. Later converted into a bus garage from 1958.


In use photos - 1.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

Langside Depot/Garage.
Battlefield Road.
Opened 1901, closed 1984.

Built for electric tram operation. Later converted into a bus garage from 1957.


In use photos - 1.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Dalmarnock Depot.
Ruby Street.
Opened 1894, closed 1962.
Built for horse tram operation. Later extended & converted for electric trams.

Recent photos - 1, 2.


Springburn Depot.
Keppochill Road.

Opened 1894, closed 1901.
Built for horse tram operation. Was converted in 1898 to become the first GCT depot to house electric trams.

Aerial view.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Kinning Park Depot.
Admiral Street.

Opened 1894, closed 1915.
Built for horse tram operation,
later converted for electric trams.  Was later home to the GCT sand dryer plant & uniform store.

1894 depot layout.
1894 illustration.
Aerial view.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Whitevale Depot.
Rowchester Street.
Opened 1894, closed 1922.
Built for horse tram operation,
later converted for electric trams.

Recent photos - 1, 2.



Kelvinhaugh Depot.
Kelvinhaugh Street.

Opened 1894, closed 1901.
Built for horse tram operation.

Aerial view.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Cowcaddens Depot/Central Garage.
Dalhousie Street.

Opened 1894, closed 1901.
Built for horse tram operation. Later became the garage for official Glasgow Corporation
 motor cars and served as a bus garage for a short time in 1927. Part of the building also housed an electrical sub-station for the trams & Underground.

Recent photos - 1, 2, 3.


Coatbridge Depot.
Main Street.
Opened 1904, closed 1956.
Built for electric tram operation.
Formerly an Airdrie & Coatbridge Tramways Depot. Acquired by GCT in 1921.

Recent photos - 1, 2.

Renfrew Depot.
Paisley Road.
Opened 1904, closed 1936.
Built for electric tram operation.
Formerly a Paisley District Tramways Depot. Acquired by GCT in 1923.

Depot layout.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Elderslie Depot.
Main Road.
Opened 1904, closed 1957.
Built for electric tram operation.
Formerly a Paisley District Tramways Depot. Acquired by GCT in 1923.
Also used as as bus garage from 1932 until 1955.

Depot layout.
Recent photos - 1, 2.


Barrhead Depot.
Aurs Road.
Opened 1910, closed 1923.
Built for electric tram operation.
Formerly a Paisley District Tramways Depot.
Acquired by GCT in 1923, used as a electrical sub-station.
Depot layout.
Recent photos - 1.


Pollokshaws Depot.
Pleasance Street.
Opened 1882, closed 1910.
Built for horse tram operation, later converted for electric trams.
Formerly a Vale of Clyde Tramway Co Ltd, Depot.
 
Acquired by GCT in 1896.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

On to page 2 >

Photo Credits