Depots, Garages & Other Establishments.

Page 1/2/3



Glasgow District Subway Co Ltd
Opened in 1896.  Glasgow Corporation Tramways (GCT) bought the entire Subway system in 1923, including all buildings & rolling stock. It was renamed the 'Underground' in 1937.   St George's Cross, Govan Cross & Copland Road, were rebuilt and all stations received some minor modernisation work up to the 1970s.  The entire Subway was modernised in 1977-80. All buildings were completely rebuilt or extensively refurbished. Four stations were also renamed, the current station names are in brackets ( ).

Head Office/St Enoch Station.
St Enoch Square.

Also served as the booking office & passenger access for St Enoch Subway Station.
Later converted into the SPTE Travel Centre.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3.


Buchanan Street Station.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Cowcaddens Station.
Recent photo.

St George's Cross Station.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3.

Kelvinbridge Station

Recent photos - 1, 2.


Hillhead Station.
Recent photo.

Partick Cross Station (Kelvinhall).
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3.

Merkland Street Station (Partick).
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4.

Govan Cross Station (Govan).
Rebuilt in 1953 to incorporate a separate entrance & exit. The above view is the entrance, the exit was part of the depot office building (see below).

Recent photos - 1, 2.


Copland Road Station (Ibrox).
Recent photo.

Cessnock Station.
Recent photo.
Kinning Park Station.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Shields Road Station.
Recent photos - 1, 2.



West Street Station.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Bridge Street Station.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3.


 
Subway Car Works/Broomloan Depot.
Broomloan Road, Govan.
Opened 1896.
The works were extended & modernised during 1977-80.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.


Subway Power Station.
Scotland Street.
Opened 1896, closed 1935.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4.

GCT Underground Depot Offices & Canteen.

Govan Cross.
Opened 1953, closed 1977.
The building also incorporated the
exit from Govan Cross Station.
Recent photo.




Glasgow Tramway & Omnibus Co Ltd
All photos below, except Crownpoint, show the GT&OCL horse tram & horse omnibus depot buildings long after their closure and conversion to other uses.
The plans are from 1892/4, still during operational times.  Current street names are in brackets ( ).
By 1908 all depots had been closed & sold.
(Thanks to Struan J. Robertson, for additional information regarding the GT&OCL depots)

Crownpoint Depot, & Works.
David Street.
Also known as Bluevale Depot.

Recent photos - 1, 2, 3.

Blackfaulds Depot.
Tobago Street, Calton.

Aerial view.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4.

Maryhill Depot.
Watt Street, (Duart Street).

Recent photos - 1, 2.


Cambridge Street Depot.
Cowcaddens.


Recent photos - 1, 2.

Partick Depot.
Queen Street, (Thurso Street).

Recent photos - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

North Street Depot.
Anderston.


Recent photos - 1, 2.


Springburn Depot.
Mollinsburn Street.
Recent photos - 1, 2.

Nelson Street Depot.
Kingston.
Recent photos - 1, 2, 3.


Whiteinch Depot.
Dumbarton Road.
Plan 1 - Plan2.
Recent photos - 1, 2.


Cromwell Street Stables.
St Georges Cross.
Recent photo.

Govan Depot.
Greenhaugh Street.
Formerly a Vale of Clyde Tramway Co Ltd, Depot.

Recent photos - 1, 2.



Andrew Menzies City Omnibus
With a fleet of fifty horse drawn omnibuses, Andrew Menzies was the most successful of the Glasgow pre-tramway era omnibus proprietors.
He later became the managing director of the Glasgow Tramway & Omnibus Co Ltd in 1872.


Risk Street Stables.
Calton.

North Street Stables.
Anderston.




First Glasgow
First Glasgow (No1 Ltd) has three depots within the Glasgow City boundary
Larkfield, and Parkhead, are former GCT depots, but Scotstoun Depot has been recently built.


Scotstoun Depot.
South Street.

Photos - 1, 2, 3, 4.
In addition, First Glasgow (No2 Ltd) has four depots outside the Glasgow boundary,
Blantyre, Dumbarton, Overtown & Cumbernauld.




The Renfrew Ferry
The Renfrew ferry service is one of the oldest in Scotland. It used to be owned by the Clyde Port Authority, but since 1984 it was owned  & operated by SPTE.  The ferry service closed in 2010 and SPT retired the Renfrew Rose and the Yoker Swan. A private company now operates the service using a much smaller boat.

Photos - 1, 2, 3, 4.




M
iscellaneous

Consort House.
West George Street.
The offices of Strathclyde PTE.


Buchanan Bus Station.

Opened 1976, built to replace the first Buchanan Street and Dundas Street bus stations.
Once used almost exclusively by the Scottish Bus Group services it is now open to many different operators.
Photos - 1, 2, 3, 4.

Govan Bus Station.
Located adjacent to Govan Subway station
Opened 1980

Recent photo.


Partick Bus Station.
Located adjacent to Partick rail & Subway station.
Opened 1980.

Dundas Street Bus Station.

Opened 1944, for use by Alexanders', their subsidiary David Lawson, and Western SMT's London service. Closed 1976.

Buchanan Street Bus Station.

Also known as Killermont Street, the first Buchanan Street bus station was opened in 1934 for use by Alexander, Central SMT and Scottish Omnibuses. Closed 1976.



Waterloo Street Bus Station.
Opened 1927, built by the Glasgow General Omnibus Co as a joint bus station and car garage. Later used solely as a bus station. Closed 1971.


Anderston Bus Station.
Opened 1971, for Scottish Bus Group services. Closed 1993.


MacBraynes's Bus Station.
Owned by MacBrayne's for use by their daily and holiday services. Closed 1970.




Glasgow Corporation, St Andrew's Printing Works.

197 Pollokshaws Road.

A converted power station. Many official GCT booklets,
 leaflets & other publications were printed here.
Recent photo.

Glasgow Numerical Printing Co Ltd.

31 Finnieston Street.

Was the main supplier of tickets to GCT.

Photo Credits